Photoshop Custom Shapes are handy-dandy little things to have in your design arsenal. A Custom Shape, or ".csh" file is a collection of graphics that you can use to draw shapes with in Photoshop. The Custom Shape tool functions exactly like the Rectangle, Oval, and Circle drawing tools in Photoshop, the only difference being that instead of boring ol' geometric shapes, you can draw nearly anything.
Some of our products come as Custom Shape (.csh) files, which enable you to draw designs on any image format in Photoshop without the loss due to down/upsizing of JPG, PSD, and Tiff files. This is because custom shapes are in Vector format and depend on a mathematical algorithm, rather than pixel data, when they are displayed. Vectors can be inserted as tiny as a pixel or as large as a billboard without any change in the way the design looks.
HOW TO INSTALL A .CSH FILE (in Photoshop)
1. Open Photoshop and choose EDIT -> PRESET MANAGER from the top menu.
2. When the PRESET MANAGER pops up, choose "Custom Shapes" from the dropdown menu.
3. Choose "Load".
4. When the file dialog comes up, find the .csh file you downloaded from Design Aglow and select it.
5. Choose OK.
You will now see a preview of all the custom shapes in the set in the Preset Manager window. If you cannot see previews, click on the tiny black arrow at the top right of the Preset Manager window. Select "LARGE THUMBNAILS". When you are sure your custom shapes have been loaded, you can choose "Done" and begin drawing with them.
Custom Shapes work in Photoshop Elements too! If you have PSE, follow these steps:
1) Open Finder
2) Select "Macintosh HD"
3) Select the "Applications" folder
4) Select "Adobe Photoshop Elements X" ([where X is the # of your version of Elements (6, 7, etc)] 5) Select the "Presets" folder
6) Select the "Custom Shapes" folder 7) Drag "TEXT_ACCESSORIES_DELIGHTFUL.csh" into the "Custom Shapes" folder
8) Restart Photoshop Elements
1) Open My Computer
2) Navigate to the "Program Files" folder
3) Select the "Adobe" folder
4) Select the "Photoshop Elements X" folder[where X is the # of your version of Elements (6.0, 7.0, etc)]
5) Select the "Presets" folder
6) Select the "Custom Shapes" folder
7) Drag "TEXT_ACCESSORIES_DELIGHTFUL.csh" into the "Custom Shapes" folder
Nicole Ashley shares her early lessons learned in this installment of our “What I Wish I Knew” series, chronicling the mistakes and revelations creatives made during their first years in business. We hope you find inspiration (and we’re sure you’ll find some commiseration!) in these stories.