Welcome to the Text Accessories: Delightful Collection Tutorial First thing's first. Let's take a look at what came in your download folder:
1. TEXT_ACCESSORIES_DELIGHTFUL.csh - This contains the shape files that you will be using to decorate your text/photos.
2. IDEA GALLERY.pdf - This contains some helpful ideas to spark your creativity.
3. INDEX OF DESIGNS - This file contains a preview of all shapes in the set.
4. read_me_pretty_please_template_copyright.txt - This text file contains a quick word on copyright.
5. tutorial.txt (What you are reading right now ;)
BACKUP YOUR FILES
Before we begin, we highly recommend backing up your files in case you need to re-load them in the future. Save them to a location on your current hard drive or an external drive for easy retrieval.
To use the accessories, first you will have to load them into Photoshop. The overlays come as individual graphics files bundled into a ".csh" file, or Photoshop Custom Shapes file. Simply double click the "TEXT_ACCESSORIES_DELIGHTFUL.csh" file to load it into Photoshop. (For more info on loading Custom Shape files into Photoshop and Elements, click here.)
1. Open your image file into Photoshop.
2. Choose the SHAPE tool from the tools menu.
CHOOSE THE "SHAPE" TOOL FROM THE TOP MENU IN PHOTOSHOP
3. Choose the individual shape you would like to work with from the drop-down menu.
CHOOSE A SHAPE TO WORK WITH
4. Select the "fill with color" option from the tool's options menu at the top of the Photoshop window.
SELECT THE "FILL WITH COLOR" BOX
5. Now, with your SHAPE tool selected click and drag the tool on the area of your image you would like the design to appear. Be sure to hold down the SHIFT key while dragging to insure that the design's perspective is maintained.
CLICK AND DRAG WITH YOUR SHAPE TOOL TO DRAW THE DESIGN
8. Repeat with all subsequent shape designs.
Flipping a Shape (For instance, if you have two accessories, each on its own layer, and you want one to face the opposite direction)
To flip a shape, follow these simple steps....
1. Select the layer of the shape you want to flip.
2. In the top Menu bar, select EDIT->TRANSFORM PATH->FLIP HORIZONTAL. You can select on of the other many options if you want your shape to Rotate 90º CW or CCW, Rotate 180º, Flip Vertical, etc. If you want to adjust the size of the element, simply click EDIT”“>TRANSFORM”“>SCALE in the Photoshop menu or CTRL+T on your keyboard. (Don't forget to hold SHIFT while you drag the corners of the bounding box to constrain the proportions.) Click ENTER or RETURN to finalize the transformation.
CHANGING THE COLOR
It's very easy to change the color of your text accessories. Simply do the following:
1. Select the layer of the element you would like to change in the LAYERS palette (the text accessory).
2. Double click the colored box next to the name of the layer and choose a new color.
Try using one accessory per image for a simple creative touch, or layering many designs on an image for a more punchy touch. Keep designs simple and related to the subject matter of your image. Sometimes a tiny touch goes a long way. These accessories are great for ANY design project!! Try using a shape or two in your marketing materials, on your website, or even your studio's logo. Be as creative as you can and let your imagination soar.