In this tutorial we'll go through all aspects of using your collage template. This collage is a fully-editable PSD file (and InDesign file) with room for 49 images.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN Before creating your first collage you should remember that because there are 49 individual image layers, the file this collage will create will be massive. What came in your download folder: PSE - This bonus folder contains actions to add your images if you are using Photoshop Elements 6 or newer. Click here to learn how to add and run actions in PSE. read_me_pretty_please_template_copyright.txt - This file contains a word on copyright and the appropriate usage of the template. THE SHOW OFF - INSERT IMAGES.atn - This is the action set you will use to add your images if you choose to edit in Photoshop. Simply double click this file to load it. THE_SHOW_OFF_PREVIEW.jpg - This is a small preview of the collage for quick reference. THE_SHOW_OFF.inx - This is the InDesign version of the collage, which you can easily drag and drop your images into. THE_SHOW_OFF.psd - This is the template you will edit in Photoshop. tutorial - This files contains a link to the tutorial you are reading now.
THE COLLAGE SIZE
The PSD of this collage is sized to 40x40 inches. All of the graphics in the collage are in vector format, which means you may size any of the items up or down without any loss in quality. We recommend sizing your collage to the final print size before inserting your images.
USING THE ACTIONS TO INSERT IMAGES
There are several actions to help you easily add your images to the template. You can add them 8 at a time (using the actions, “INSERT IMAGES 1-8”, “INSERT IMAGES 9-16”, etc.) You can also add the images one at a time by selecting the image layer you would like to populate (such as IMAGE LAYER 27) and running the “INSERT ONE IMAGE” action.
INSERTING IMAGES BY HAND
There are two ways to insert your images into the collage. The first way is by hand and the second is by using the bundled action. Depending on your design, you may find it easier to insert images by hand. To do this, open the template and perform the following:
1. Mouse over the layer you would like to insert your image into, right click it, and choose it from the list. For example, if you would like to insert an image into position 20, choose IMAGE LAYER 20 from the list.
2. The layer will now be selected in your LAYERS palette.
3. Choose FILE -> OPEN and choose the image you would like to insert into this space.
4. Choose the MOVE tool. (Keyboard shortcut “V”) And drag the image onto the collage PSD.
5. With the image you've just placed selected, choose “CREATE CLIPPING MASK” from the drop down menu at the top right of the layers palette. This will confine your image within the boundaries of the IMAGE LAYER.
6. Use the FREE TRANSFORM tool (Keyboard shortcut Control+T) and drag in the corners of your image to position it correctly within the frame. (Hold SHIFT while you drag to constrain proportions, so your image won't get “smooshed”.)
7. Press Enter to apply the transformation.
We cannot include fonts in our downloads, as fonts are protected under copyright. If you do not have the fonts we have used, a quick Google search should turn up a resource in no time. The font used for this collage is: Helvetica Light To change the wording on your templates do the following:
1. Select the Text Tool from your tools palette (keyboard shortcut “T”)
2. Click on the line of text that you would like to change.
3. Highlight the text by dragging the tool across it.
4. Type to your heart's content.