Choosing a font for a project just might be, in my opinion, the most important step in the design process. There are a million different fonts out there, so how do you choose? It is a process of a lifetime, but every designer has their ever-growing list of favorite fonts. And because I have never shared any mine via the worldwide web, I thought it might be a helpful topic for today's blog post. Here are five free fonts that could help freshen up your designs-- just another set of tools in your design arsenal. ;) At Design Aglow, we take great care to hand-select the perfect font for every template we design. So in addition to sharing these five free fonts, I am also going to pair them up with examples of the Design Aglow products that use them. Here's the roundup (in no particular order)”¦
1) Shown here in Design Aglow's Holiday Cards: Modern Botanical Collection, Raleway is an all-around great sans-serif font. Its clean letterforms are perfect for use in minimal design and add an instant modern feel to something vintage and unstructured. Even better, it can be found in lots of different weights, making it one of the most versatile free fonts I have ever used. Raleway has also been used in several other Design Aglow products, including the Minimalist Marketing Suite, Portrait Welcome Packet: Minimalist Edition, and Wedding Welcome Packet: Minimalist Edition.
2) Shown here in Design Aglow's Wedding Stationery Collection, Champagne & Limousines is another wonderful sans-serif font. This font has a slight Art Deco vibe giving modern typography a bit of a retro feel. It also comes in several weights, and includes my favorite feature--a gorgeously crafted ampersand. Champagne & Limousines has also been used in several other Design Aglow products, including the Wedding Day Client Magazine, and the Senior Client Graduation Magazine.
3) Shown here in Design Aglow's Holiday Portraits Promo, Arvil is a strong condensed font. Condensed fonts are great when you need to get a lot of type in a small space, but they can also add awesome contrast to bolder script-like fonts. I think the tip with this one is to go a bit retro with the design so it doesn't go down the road of modern sci-fi, unless that's the look you are going for. :) Arvil has also been used in other Design Aglow products, including the Studio Holiday Greeting Card.
4) Shown here in Design Aglow's Blog & Print Layouts: Magazine Style Series 2, Delicieux is a whimsical hand-written font that just makes me smile. Although very unstructured, the font looks great when used in small quantities combined with a cleaner, more structured font. It stands out when used in anything child-inspired or in place of hand-lettering for a food-related project. Delicieux has also been used in Design Aglow's Hand Drawn Photo Frames: Bohemian Collection.
5) Shown here in Design Aglow's Newborn Welcome Packet, Josephine Slab is a nice clean slab-serif font. It can often be a softer alternative to a similar sans-serif font without having to compromise that clean look you might be after. Josephin Slab has also been used in Design Aglow's Holiday Cards: Minimalist Collection. There are so many more great fonts out there, but it's always nice to add a few new fonts to your font book one at a time and see how you can start using them. Or just grab some of these templates mentioned above and you have an instant design ready to share with your clients. And in true Design Aglow style, every template is completely customizable, so if the mood strikes you to change the font down the road, you can easily do so. Happy font freshening!
Ashleigh is the lead designer here at Design Aglow. When she was young she dreamed of the stars and longed for a mission to the moon ... she even has one epic space camp experience under her belt. She soon realized her talents were better suited more earthly pursuits. Font aficionado, illustrator, animator and lover of all things mid-century, she spends her free time seeking out anything that makes her eyes smile. She is also a wife, instagram enthusiast, and mom to the baddest 8 lb. dog in town.