Design Aglow is proud to host this year's recommended workshop for professional photographers. THRIVE Workshop is presented by Karen Carey, Design Aglow contributor previously featured in The Success Issue - No. 5. Karen is a noted fine artist and acclaimed instructor with over fifteen years of experience in sales and photography. She has put together a program that will take your business to the next level and give you the tools that you need to prosper and flourish. Our very own Design Aglow co-founder, Lena Hyde, will host the event and lend her voice as guest speaker right here at her studio and Design Aglow headquarters! We think THRIVE may be *the* workshop that you have been waiting for! Read more in our interview with Karen Carey below and expect to hear more from her soon because we are working on something new together for Design Aglow.
Design Aglow: THRIVE is such a great name and concept for a workshop. Can you tell us what inspired you to create it?
Karen: The word thrive means to be prosper or to be successful; to grow and develop vigorously and flourish. The THRIVE Workshop is designed to teach photographers to do just that! Our goal is to transform lives”¦to transform talented photographers into thriving business owners. We are not interested in teaching photographers how to merely “get by” or how to “survive.” We want to teach them how to prosper and flourish. THRIVE was born out of a desire to inspire, educate and motivate photographers to look beyond the current state of their business and the current state of our industry to see what else is possible! So much energy has already been wasted complaining, struggling & wondering what happened. THRIVE-ing is about looking forward instead of looking back.
Design Aglow: Who is the workshop geared toward?
Karen: THRIVE is for any professional photographer who is interested in growing their business and increasing profitability. It does not matter if they have been in business for one year or ten years. It does not matter if they own a studio or work from home. This workshop is designed to give photographers the tools that they need to flourish right where they are now and where ever they are headed in the future. The timeless success principles taught at THRIVE are universal and can be applied throughout their career.
Design Aglow: Can you tell us a little bit about what photographers can expect at THRIVE?
Karen: THRIVE is not a “scratch the surface” type of workshop. It is in depth and hand on! If you want to plant seeds of greatness you have to be willing to pull some dead weeds, dig a little deeper and get your hands dirty! Expect dirty hands. There are only 20 photographers invited to attend so expect personal attention and an intimate setting. And can we talk about the setting for just a moment”¦ THRIVE is being hosted at Design Aglow headquarters and Lena Hyde's stunning West Palm Beach studio! Expect to be wow-ed! Expect to be blown away! Expect to be inspired! The luxurious studio is perfect for this event, located in downtown West Palm Beach Florida!
Design Aglow: What topics specifically will be discussed?
Karen: Topics include, but are not limited to the following...
• Building a profitable, successful and rewarding business that will last
• Your Income is in Your Hands (designing your destiny)
• The Confidence Factor (understanding and believing in your value)
• Branding (cultivating a service oriented brand, discovering and articulating a USP-unique selling point)
• Marketing (writing a marketing statement, prospecting & identifying a target market, attracting new clients)
• Pricing for Profit (choosing a product line and creating a price list, creating packages incentives, up-selling)
• Managing Money
• Selling the Relationship (fielding the initial inquiry, establishing the relationship, leading with the need instead of the price)
• Overcoming Obstacles and Objections
• Setting Expectations and Nurturing Relationships
• Selling with Integrity
• Closing the Sale and Creating Consistency
• Workflow for Efficiency and Profit with Lena Hyde
• Sample Sales Presentation using Projection with Lena Hyde
• Commercial Photography: Understanding the difference between a retail sale and a commercial license, Creating estimates, Negotiating Fees, Writing Contracts, Licensing Images, and Conditions, and Working with Agents
Design Aglow: How do photographers get more information? Karen: Visit the THRIVE website...we have room for 10 more attendees. I look forward to hearing from you!
From a very early age I loved taking pictures and looking at them in magazines and books, but the art of photography captured my heart when I was a teenager, on my first overseas trip to Wales. From that point, I began shooting with a little film SLR and having my friend model for me. In college I took some digital photography and visual communication courses as part of my communication studies major, and decided to pursue a career in photography. I became a legal business and took my first paid client at age 20, and it's been quite a journey and adventure over the past nine years.