Frame collections are like the final frontier of photography sales: not only do you have to convince clients that they need to display themselves BIG on the wall, but you also must sway them to purchase multiple versions of themselves (client with spouse, client with one kid, client with other kid, client with entire family, etc.) in order to tell their family or wedding story. It can be a hard sell…unless you know what you’re doing. Here are our field-tested steps for selling a frame collection to every client–portrait or wedding–that walks through your door.
1) Plant the seed. To prepare clients for a wall gallery purchase, you must discuss the outcome of their session every step of the way, from your very first phone call. And the goal of any session should always be…art! Design Aglow offers fantastic (free!) resources for you to share, such as our recent “Conversations with Clients: Why Photographic Art Matters.”
Here’s some sample verbiage to start laying the groundwork: “What I envision for all my clients are wall galleries, composed of both family and individual portraits, and small family groupings for them to see and enjoy every day (and albums to collect).”
Giving your clients the lovely Client Order Planning Guide: Fine Art Style in their welcome packet also helps them visualize what a gallery might look like on their walls, and makes a statement about considering walls where a frame gallery might go.
2) Pre-design galleries using your clients’ images. Use selling products–like the Design Aglow Inspire Guides–to illustrate a clients’ actual gallery on their own walls, using photographs of their own home. As photographers, we often take vision for granted, while our clients need someone else to create that vision for them (which is exactly why they hire us!). Inserting session images into the included PSD files, which is well worth your effort, will bridge the gap between the idea of a wall gallery, and making that wall gallery a reality.
3) Show what you want to sell. Turn your studio into a showpiece gallery by displaying gorgeous Grab & Go Collections on your own walls. Don’t have a dedicated selling space? No problem. Our portable Show & Sell Kit allows you to bring all 11 styles of frames you offer directly to your clients, in adorable 4×6” versions. Bonus: by seeing how petite a 4×6” frame is, clients will realize how much more impactful a wall gallery will be.
4) Offer design services. As a complimentary bonus for orders over $X, you’ll hand-deliver and install clients’ artwork. For busy families and design-challenged newlywed couples, this reduces the intimidation factor of actually getting the frames up on the walls! While you offer many ideas for wall frame arrangement, this helpful guide will highlight the infinite possibilities for them.
5) Look to the future. Sell your clients on the other benefits of creating wall galleries: because they’re modular, galleries can be built out over time, added on to with each new photo session. And because you view your role as a photographer that will chronicle their family for a lifetime, you’ll help them create frame collections that can be passed down to their children. (PS…don’t forget the albums! Beautiful books are great for collecting and will show the history of their family as they grow.)
We can’t wait to hear how these tips help you sell galleries with ease. Connect with us on Facebook, or send us your success story here.