Hello. We’re Design Aglow, a little company with giant ideas. Since 2006, we’ve been an industry leader in design resources and educational products for the success of professional portrait and wedding photographers. Our team has created 350+ products that help photographers shine, and we’re beginning a long-term growth cycle that includes two internationally published books in partnership with Random House and online wholesale frame and paper shops to serve our customer base of 40,000+ professional photographers. Innovation is a team constant, and we’re always seeking (and developing!) the industry’s next big thing.
Our Graphic Designers work with our team of writers, marketing managers, strategists, and business developers to create unique products that help photographers to succeed.
Our Graphic Designers must be self-motivated, capable of taking an idea for the product from the creative team and giving it a unique design style and layout with minimal creative direction. Staying well-researched and up-to-date on current trends in art and design is a must. The work will reflect a modern style, as well stay true to the Design Aglow track record of setting the trends in the design industry for photographers.
• Designing and laying out Design Aglow products, including Marketing Suites, Welcome Packets, Card Sets, Album Designs, Educational Guides and much more
• Creating and maintaining a consistent look and level of quality across all products and company collateral, online and printed
• Developing design concepts and ideas for new products
• Staying on deadline for all design projects
Required Qualities and Characteristics:
• Degree in graphic design with strong design portfolio
• Extensive experience in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (Knowledge of Adobe After Effects and Final Cut are a plus)
• Ability to illustrate original, professional vector elements
• A thorough understanding of photography, typography and printing
• A solid understanding of best practices for web and print design
• Ability to multitask and work efficiently with attention eye for detail
• Ability to take constructive criticism and be willing to change a concept quickly if a design needs a new direction
• Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, with a high level of creativity and entrepreneurship
• At least 1 year of relevant experience
• Experience in web design a plus
Our office is in Southeast Portland and applicant must be local. Please submit your resume to email@example.com and we will be in touch within 2 weeks if we think you are a good fit. No calls, please.
Hello. We’re Design Aglow, a little company with giant ideas. Since 2006, we’ve been an industry leader for information, education, and templates created for the success of professional portrait and wedding photographers. Our team has created 300+ products that help photographers shine, and we have begun a long-term growth cycle that includes two internationally published books in partnership with Random House and an online wholesale frame, packaging and album lines to serve our North American market. Innovation is a team constant, and we’re always seeking (and developing!) the industry’s next big thing. At Design Aglow, the entrepreneurial and artistic spirits coexist, with one always pushing the other to new heights.
Our success revolves around a collaborative environment, the happy flow of minds working together on projects that make a difference in photographers’ lives. Our team needs a freelance Lead Writer for our new Portland office who can thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. You should have excellent communication skills, be able to juggle several different jobs at the same time, and be able to make decisions on the fly. The variety of the work on a day-to-day basis recommends this job to people with strong work ethics, organizational abilities, a creative sensibility, and a love of growth. This job is likely to become a permanent position for the right candidate!
We strive to maintain an open and creative work environment where everyone has the ability to voice opinions and affect company strategies. Our growth is a direct result of consistently setting trends (rather than following them) and growing a strong team of dedicated, passionate employees.
For our community of over 25,000 photographers, we’re always ready with a wise word, a kind thought, or a gesture of (gentle) tough love. Our success revolves around a collaborative environment, the happy flow of minds working together on projects that make a difference in photographers’ lives. As our Lead Writer, you would be an integral part of this team, largely responsible for Design Aglow’s editorial direction. It’s a big responsibility, but we think you’re up to the task. Want to hear the rest of the job description?
The Lead Writer is responsible for content creation for the Design Aglow brand, which includes products, marketing, some social media, and web content. For projects outsourced to freelancers, the Lead Writer is responsible for providing the initial creative brief and ongoing direction, as well as overseeing the content creation process from beginning to end.
The Lead Writer will be working in a creative environment with our Portland team. We are searching for candidates who are both idea AND detail people, self-motivated, capable of crafting ideas for content and immediately implementing them. The Lead Writer must also stay well-researched and up-to-date on current trends and issues in photography and business. Their work must reflect the Design Aglow voice, as well as inspire, educate, and help determine the direction of the entire industry.
• Creating and managing an editorial calendar
• Writing timely blog content, which includes interviews and longer educational/motivational articles
• Sourcing motivational contributors Design Aglow products and blog features
• Crafting social media content using current SEO best practices
• Discovering sharable/pinnable content that has viral potential
• Writing product descriptions
• Composing company communications
• Contributing product ideas and subsequent product copy
• Envisioning contest/creative innovative marketing ideas
• Writing press releases & researching possible media pitches
• Managing and commissioning freelance contributors to create content for products
• Editing and polishing content produced by the Design Aglow team
Required Qualities and Characteristics:
• Degree in English, journalism, marketing or other related subject with strong writing portfolio
• Knowledge of and experience in the photography industry
• Knowledge and understanding of current SEO best practices
• A solid understanding of composing content for both print and web
• Ability to multitask and work efficiently with an eye for detail
• Ability to take criticism constructively and be willing to change a concept quickly if a piece needs a new direction
• Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced team environment, with a high level of creativity and entrepreneurship
• At least 2 years of relevant experience
Our office is in the SE District of Portland, OR. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20, 2014. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are so excited.
The Design Aglow Paper Shop AND The Design Aglow Frame Shop have both been recognized by PPA’s Professional Photographer magazine as 2014 Hot One award winners for the categories of photography packaging and framing. Woohoo!!
Given to products that exhibit “exceptional quality, innovation, design and performance as judged by a distinguished panel of industry experts,” Hot One Awards represent the best of the business, and we’re honored to be recognized as such.
Additionally, the Design Aglow Posing Guide has also won for best photography book. If you have not already snagged a copy, you can grab it on Amazon or in your local bookstore. We are super proud of it.
The Modern Minimalist Studio Magazine won the studio marketing category! This is a fantastic marketing asset, professionally written and designed, to be used in print or online.
And finally, our Modern Minimalist Welcome Packet won for best presentation template. We are so happy to have this Design Aglow original product recognized as the critical resource it is for thousands of pro photographers around the world.
Giant thanks again, to PPA’s Professional Photographer Magazine for recognizing our hard work and efforts! Like PPA, we aim to support photographers with a myriad of exceptional resources and elevate our industry to the highest possible level.
We are going to celebrate with some ice cream now~
We are thrilled to announce the new Face of Design Aglow!
Over the past three weeks, we have received over 100 submissions from inspired photographers from around the planet in response to our Face of Design Aglow and Ultimate Studio Makeover competition. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm, your beautiful images and your kind words. We loved “meeting” all of you!
It was no easy task for our team, but we have selected a winner. Drumroll…….
Say Hello to April Zelenka, the new Face of Design Aglow for the next 12 months!
Name: April Zelenka
Location: Madison, WI
Website URL: aprilviolet.com
Hello! I’m a graphic designer by weekday and wedding photography by weekend. I’m an antique hunter, flea market fanatic, and creative junkie. I never leave my house without my sketchbook or my camera.
When I was 14 I was diagnosed with a heart condition and became an advocate and media spokesperson for the American Heart Association. Being able to share my story with other people was one of greatest privileges and experiences. I love to share my journey of ups and downs, hopes and dreams of my photography business. The past three years have been a roller coaster of emotions and tough decisions, but I’m learning as I go. My passion for photography and being creative runs deep in my veins and each day I learn something new.
I aim to be an open book to struggles and successes of a young ambitious business owner. And yes, I may crack a few jokes along the way. I pride myself in being pretty funny :-).
How long have you been a professional photographer? 3 years
Favorite Design Aglow product:Modern Minimalist Welcome Packet
If you could shoot anywhere in the world, where would it be: Ireland. On the cliffside. At dusk.
Dogs or cats: Dogs. Big dogs!
Where do you see yourself in one year: There have been quite a few changes in the past year. I bought a house. I quit a job that restricted creative freedom. I discovered a love of iced coffee & muffins. I became a godmother to the sweetest little girl.
With all of the said, I’m ready to make some more changes in life, especially in my business. I’d love to plan out the next year so I can do wedding photography full-time and make a profit! I love my job as a graphic designer, but more so I love working with my brides & grooms! I am a hopeless romantic after all. In a year I hope to have a gorgeous website full of amazing blog content, have pricing I can feel confident in, and create work that I truly feel proud of. I want to kick self doubt to the curb! It’s much easier said than done, but one day at a time.
As our way thanking April for jumping on board as our featured photographer, avatar, and all-around go-to up and coming pro photographer, we are investing in her success. She will be receiving this fantastic Ultimate Studio Makeover courtesy of some of the best brands in our business:
Design Aglow —
• Shopping Spree at designaglowshop.com ($1000)
• Frame Shop Show & Sell Kit ($100)
• Prophoto Blogsite Design ($85)
• Paper Shop Packaging Starter Kit ($35)
• Design Aglow Profile Picture for one year (priceless!)
• 2 year Subscription to Click Magazine ($30)
• 6 month Clickin Moms Forum Membership ($30)
• 1 Click Away Registration ($399)
• (1) Kelly Moore Bag (up to $249)
• Preveal iOS App ($75)
• Salesographer ($129)
• Lab Credit ($250)
• (1) 12×12 Sample Playbook album with 10 spreads/20 page sides ($100)
• (1) 11×14 Sample Marilyn Image Box with 10 Matted Lustre Prints ($100)
• (2) 8×10 Fine Art Xhibit Prints mounted in 11×14 mats ($100)
• Camera Strap
• Choice of any (1) class in the month of September (up to $400 value)
And meet our Honorable Mention Photographers, who we thought demonstrated lots of inspiration, talent, and overall awesomeness.
Each will receive a $75 shopping spree to the Design Aglow Shop.
Pictured: Sam Anglin, Kara Mercer, Kelly Bowie, Karissa Van Tassel, Mary Schiavoni, Amanda Long, Erin Schmidt, Erika Blackwell, Brittny Debonis, and Shelby Schmidt
Again, thanks to all who participated! We are blessed to be a part of such a wonderful community of artists and innovators.
Cheers To Your Success!