Hello. We’re Design Aglow, a little company with giant ideas. Since 2006, we’ve been the industry leader for design resource and educational products for the success of professional portrait and wedding photographers. Our team has created 300+ products that help photographers shine, and we’re beginning a long-term growth cycle that includes two internationally published books in partnership with Random House and online wholesale frame and paper shops to serve our North American market. Innovation is a team constant, and we’re always seeking (and developing!) the industry’s next big thing. At Design Aglow, the entrepreneurial and artistic spirits coexist, with one always pushing the other to new heights.
But our reach goes way beyond just a company that creates great design for photographers. Within the industry, we’re known as businessmakers, dream engineers, and cheerleaders. For our community of over 25,000 photographers, we’re always ready with a wise word, a kind thought, or a gesture of (gentle) tough love. Our success revolves around a collaborative environment, the happy flow of minds working together on projects that make a difference in photographers’ lives. As a Design Aglow Graphic Designer, you would be an integral part of this team, largely responsible for Design Aglow’s creative direction. It’s a big responsibility, but we think you’re up to the task. Want to hear the rest of the job description?
Our Graphic Designers are responsible for the art direction and design of all new Design Aglow products and company branding, including web design and print design. Design and layout of many of the Design Aglow products will be handled by the Graphic Designer. For projects outsourced to freelancers, our designers are responsible for providing the initial creative brief and creative direction, as well as overseeing the design process from beginning to end.
The Graphic Designer will be working in a creative environment with our team of writers, marketing managers, strategists, and business developers. We are searching for people who are passionate about design and able to lead a team in art direction that creatively fulfills the needs of the Design Aglow products and business.
The Graphic Designer must be self-motivated, capable of taking an idea for the product from the creative team and giving it a unique design style and layout without much creative direction. The Graphic Designer must stay well-researched and up-to-date on current trends in art and design. The work must reflect a modern style, as well stay true to the Design Aglow track record of setting the trends in the design industry for photographers.
• Designing and laying out Design Aglow products, including Marketing Sets, Welcome Packets, Card Sets, Album Designs, Educational Guides and much more.
• Creating and constantly designing a consistent look across all Design Aglow branding and marketing materials, online and offline.
• Assisting in the styling of photo shoots when necessary.
• Choosing packaging to correspond with new Design Aglow products.
• Developing design concepts for new products, and ideas for freelance projects.
• Serving as the design contact for various Design Aglow partners.
• Managing and commissioning freelancers for work on design and layout projects.
• Writing a creative brief for each new freelance project, complete with full direction and inspiration for the desired look required.
• Keeping an open line of communication with outside designers throughout the project period, including giving constructive criticism until the desired look is achieved.
• Keeping track of and reaching deadlines on all internal and outside design projects.
• Requesting and receiving invoices, as well as all the proper documentation for each new freelancer hired.
• Seeking out additional talent and reviewing designers’ submitted resumes and portfolios.
Required Qualities and Characteristics:
• Degree in graphic design with strong design portfolio.
• Extensive knowledge of and experience in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. Knowledge of Adobe After Effects and Final Cut are a plus.
• Because of the nature of the template industry, we prefer to create all of our graphic elements in house or use original artwork created by our freelancers, so the ability to illustrate professional vector elements for use in the designs is a must.
• A thorough understanding of photography, typography and printing.
• A solid understanding of designing for the web and for print.
• Ability to multitask and work efficiently with an eye for detail.
• Ability to take criticism constructively and be willing to change a concept quickly if a design needs a new direction.
• Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced team environment, with a high level of creativity and entrepreneurship.
• At least 2 years of relevant experience.
• Experience in web design a plus.
This position is in Southeast Portland and applicant must be local. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.